Thursday 12 April 2007

Asian Pedagogy - Crisis, Interventions, Opportunities

Having myself received much of my education from Western inspired interventions in Indian education, primary as well as higher education, I feel I have an intrinsic perspective to bring to modern and contemporary education and pedagogy in India.

I have been formulating the ideas for an art academy and value education school for marginalized Indian children for the past one year. It is only recently that I have been able to identify some core people in India to take this idea forward.
My faith has primarily been that a priori tremendous creativity exists in Indian children from marginalized sections, however due to the colonial mental handicaps, education itself has been straight jacketed and hijacked by money making vultures and stultifying Western research interests in India.
The Indian political elite has very few ideas, but I am heartened to find that things are changing now and people are looking for radical approaches to education in general.
I am seeking to find a core group of people whom I can identify as critical to success in radical education and art forms. I do not want to take any short cuts, as I also want the project to be economically sustainable, and having broad based societal support rather than just governmental support, in the long run.
I also hope to study some traditional models of Buddhist education, as I am myself a Buddhist.
I invite Second World and Third World educationists for inspiration, ideas and a certain freedom to experiment with education and pedagogy, keeping the political situation in mind as the overall environment in which radical education must make an intervention.
I will gradually try and spell out in more detail what I mean by this.
I have seen the interventions in Indian education made by First World educationists / institutions in much detail, and frankly, I have had enough of them. I find them boring, patronizing, riddled with double agendas and indeed neo colonial to say the least. I totally reject such interventions in Indian education models.

No comments: